Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Worst Is Over

I hope.

This has probably been one of the roughest rollouts I’ve been involved with. Mainly, it’s been related around system security and what I consider a bug in the vendor’s software.

Of course, when asking for support, the advice I got was to reinstall the web server software which is a major undertaking in this day and age of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. After struggling with the software all morning, I finally figured out a way to get the application in business again, without reinstalling server software.

The frustrating part of this is that our customers will look at this as a failure on our team’s part. In a way, it is. This should have been caught in unit testing, but there wasn’t simply enough time to test the security model which is very basic and we had already deployed for the manufacturing arm of the company.

In any event, the system appears to be stable and tonight is the first night in weeks where I’m taking a well earned break from working. Back into the frying pan tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

test