Monday, May 10, 2004

Long time no blog. I’ve been very busy day to day recently, and the blog is usually on the low priority for the day. Plus the fact that I have never really enjoyed writing all that much, so it’s easy for me play hooky.

Today’s topic: eggs. I’ve been meaning to post this since Easter when my family visited and I whipped up a batch of scrambled eggs.

First, some history. Growing up, I worked at Law’s Coffee Shop in Oak Glen for about 5 years. Most of that time was spent in the kitchen. Every month, we’d have a breakfast buffet, and my main responsibility was cooking more eggs than any human should have to. I believe I cooked over 30 flats of eggs one morning, which is just wrong on so many levels.

So, with that amount of experience, I consider myself a damn good cook of eggs. Enter Alton Brown of Good Eats fame.



I love Alton. He’s my hero. If you’ve never watched his show on Food Network, and you have even a passing interest in cooking, you need to tune in. Even my 5 year old enjoys watching this show!

Recently, an episode addressed egg cooking, and one of the topics he addressed was scrambled eggs. I thought I’d give his method a spin, and wow. Wow. I’m not kidding. The results were mind boggling. If you ever wanted perfect scrambled eggs, here’s what you do:

1. Scramble your eggs in a bowl, and add a little milk.

2. Place some butter in a pan and let it melt on medium low heat.

3. Put the eggs in the pan, stir occasionally.

4. Here’s the magic: when the eggs just start to curdle, turn the heat to high! Yes, high! Stir constantly with a spatula.

5. When there is no more liquid in the pan, move the eggs to the plate. This is the hard one for me, because the eggs do not look done. But, they continue to cook on the plate and by the time they are served, they will be done.

Voila, perfect eggs. Give it a try. It’ll knock your socks off.

And if you’re interested in Alton Brown, you need to check out this wonderful fan page that has a transcript of every show he’s ever done with links to his recipes.

Now, that’s Good Eats.

No comments: