Friday, May 28, 2004

Vegas, baby, Vegas.

I like Vegas, a lot. I really enjoy playing craps, but rarely do I get out to Nevada to enjoy the game. In fact, it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been, and for some odd reason, I ended up going to Vegas twice in one week last week: once for a good friend’s bachelor party and again two days later for a technical conference.

Although I didn’t play much, I did become closer to my friends and to my colleagues at work over the time I spent there. On the second trip, we enjoyed a fine dinner at Gallagher’s at New York New York. They have steaks that are aged for 14 days, and since I had never had one these before, I gave it a whirl. Outstanding, but bring your appetite!


Before dinner at Gallagher’s


The other highlight of my time there was watching my soon to be married friend’s brother play trumpet in a very good lounge act at the Bellagio. His brother has been able to make a good living playing in Vegas in a variety of shows, and has had steady work for the past six years!

As always, each trip to Vegas results in the impression that this town will never stop growing. How many hotel rooms is enough? I don’t know, but they apparently haven’t reached the limit yet. Practically every large resort on The Strip had some sort of ongoing construction project.

Enjoy your weekend and thank a Veteran if you get the chance.

No comments: