Thursday, August 04, 2005

Adventures in Cooking: Sweet & Sour Pork

Well, I'm back. Sort of. Work is still busy, but I also wanted to chronicle some of the cooking I'm trying out right now. I figured the blog would be the perfect place to review the dishes that I'm making, so that if I want to refresh my memory on how well or badly a receipt went, I can just search here.

Today's Adventure in Cooking is Alton Brown's Sweet & Sour Pork. Usually, when I'm looking for recipes to try, I rely on Alton Brown and then I look at the comments to his receives on Food Network. Alton's Sweet & Sour Pork recipe received rave reviews, so I gave it a go.

Ugh. There's a lot of prep work that goes into this dish, including an overnight marinade. This should bring a lot of flavor to the party, but what ends up happening is that the sour sauce ends up overpowering all of the other flavors. The sauce is ketchup based, which I found to be very creative, however the final sauce is very salty. That salt prevents the more subtle flavors from ever getting to your taste buds.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate this dish a 5 because of the sauce. If I can come up with a suitable replacement for the sauce, then I'd probably give it another shot.

1 comment:

teckron said...

Sounds yummy if it is only a 5....